Sharing What I Find

Instructional Design and Technology in Education

Adding a Custom Grade Center Column

There may be occasions when you want to add a customized text column to your Grade Center in blackboard. Perhaps you need to make a note about a particular assignment or you want to add a note about having submitted a grade, or a request for lesson payment.

You can add a column (or multiple columns) and add up to about 8 text characters. Anything longer will not be accepted and you’ll need to find another place for those wordy comments.

From the Grade Center, go to the Add Grade Column link.

custom-addcolumn

Then you’ll see the Add Grade Column Detail form.

custom-adddetails

Give the column a short name and under the Primary Display choose text.

custom-textdisplay

The Points Possible field is a required field so you can’t leave it blank.But you can put a zero in the field.

custom-gradedetails

You’ll also want to make sure that this grade column doesn’t show up in the students view of My Grades so be sure to check on the NO radio button by Show this column in My Grades.

And there you go – you have a custom column that you can use to make some notes. Please note the icon showing by the column name. This means that the column will not show up in the student’s view of My Grades.

custom-newcolumn

custom-icon

If you want to make more extensive notes for each student you can click on the double down arrows and select Add Comments.

custom-addcomments1

From here add your comments in the Grading Notes section – this section will only be available to you.

custom-addcomments2

Now you have a custom column in the gradebook to help you keep organized!

Author: Heidi Olson

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eCampus courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eCampus and researching eCampus tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.

Comments are closed.