Sharing What I Find

Instructional Design and Technology in Education

Screencapture

I recently completed an Media in Education class and here is one of the assignments we completed. The assignment was to   create three related documents which lead students through computer-related tasks using screencapture software.

ScreenCapture is something that I find very helpful. Since I spend my days working with students, faculty, and staff at a distance, creating and sharing a screencapture with some kind of annotation can quickly solve problems or be a solution to share information, often better then through verbal communication.

I work at UAF eCampus with a team of Instructional Designers who are always creating tutorials and handouts for instructors, as well as for instructors to use with their students. We all create documents, some more specific then others. We most often create and share these documents through our google accounts so that it is easy to create a copy if more customization is necessary, without having to go through a similar creation process.

So I used my consumer google account as the basis for this assignment. I have used a variety of capture tools. I really like JING and for most things that is my go-to application. I’ve used Skitch before, but when Evernote bought them out some of the features I used were taken away so I deleted them from my tool box in frustration! I also like Clarify which actually lets you create a series of steps in one document, capture multiple screens and then helps you to lay them out. Clarify costs $30. But I’ve been wanting to try out Monosnap so that is what I used. I really like the features Monosnap offers and its cross-platform, plus it has an iPhone application. One of the really nice features it that it has a blur tool that can be very handy when demonstrating screenshots that might have student-related information on it.

Once again, I’ve used my camera for creating the screenshots. Most of the images are desktop pictures taken from the phone (by holding down the menu button (I call it the home button) and the power button at the top edge of the phone). This puts an image in your camera roll. I collected these images and sent them to myself and used Monosnap on my laptop to annotate the images used in the documents. Perhaps I should have just used the Monosnap app on my phone, but it might have confused me!

So here are my three documents. I’ve shared them with anyone who has the link so you shouldn’t have to log in to google (or create a new account if you don’t have one already) to view them.

What are QR codes?

QR Codes: Downloading Qrafter to your iPhone or iPad

Using Qrafter

Author: Heidi Olson

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eCampus courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eCampus and researching eCampus tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.