Sharing What I Find

Instructional Design and Technology in Education

Online tool trend for 2013

I thought this was an interesting list of learning tools to watch for 2013. The list is based on a survey completed by 500 learning professionals of which 17% were identified as university teachers. Twitter ranked #1, which is the same place it has ranked since 2009. …”hands down best place to learn and connect on learning and with other learning professionals.”

Google Sites and Wikispaces both had significant drops. Does this mean that the wiki collaborative platform, that gives you and others the ability to create and edit multiple pages, is being replaced with other types of tools?

Microsoft products including powerpoint, word, excel, and outlook are all listed so that tells me they haven’t completed been replaced with google apps.

New tools include Feedly, Socrative, Todaysmeet, and Pearltrees. Feedly is an RSS reader/aggregator which most likely found its place on the list due to Google Reader discontinuing its service in July. Socrative is a response system to engage students using quizzes and polls through their laptop or mobile device. Todaysmeet is a backchannel service you can use to chat in realtime. Pearltrees is a visual curation tool.

Tools that are new to the list:
19   Feedly
38   Coursera
72   Socrative
86   WhatsApp
87   Trello

Tools that left the list:
Google Reader at 17
Scribd at 59
Bing at 62
Instapaper at 66
MovieMaker at 68
MindMeister at 69
iPhone & Apps at 74
Edublogs at 77
Lino at 83
Buddypress at 85
MentorMob at 90
Mahara at 91
Quora at 97

Author: Heidi Olson

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eCampus courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eCampus and researching eCampus tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.

Comments are closed.