Sharing What I Find

Instructional Design and Technology in Education

Review: Tips for engagement and interactivity

The Elearning Guild recently produced 68 Tips for eCampus Engagement & Interactivity as a collection of suggestions for getting users to become and stay engaged.   Elearning Guild is heavily focused on corporate training but I’m happy to say that the strategies they promote are based on sound educational theroy. The report was broken into these sections:

Eighteen  Tips  for  Creating  Engaging  Content
Ten  Tips  for  Creating  an  Engaging  Interface
Three  Tips  for  Using  Interactivities  to  Drive  Engagement
Twenty-five  Tips  for  Using  Media  and  Visual  Design  Effectively
Eight  Tips  for  Using  Games  for  Learning
Four  Tips  for  Measuring  Engagement  and Learning

From these 68 tips, these are the tips that I found most interesting:

• clicking the “Next’ button is not enough; students need interactions that convey and reinforce information
  • give them something to be curious about
  • narrative flow
  • finding the connection between the different points of information
  • why this information matters and how it is relevant to them.
  • often it’s the examples and anecdotes that the SME doesn’t include in the slide deck that make the content come alive
  • people tend to remember information and experiences that trigger an emotional response. To make your learning modules memorable, use humor to engage the audience. Select audio and visual examples that play to a range of emotions.
  • ask the learners how this content relates to their own work, whether they’ve done something like this before, or how it makes them feel. Ask them how they’re doing on this skill right now, and perhaps give them a
  • self-rating scale to complete. By getting learners to stop and think, you help them internalize the content and make it their own.
  • we pay more attention to onscreen pictures of people when they are looking right into our eyes
  • live virtual sessions, build in a variety of interactivities every two to three minutes and be sure to monitor how many people are participating

Tips viewed in Wordle format:

68 comments

Four authors stood out for me but I was only able to find a web presence for one of them:

Cammy Bean Blog:  https://cammybean.kineo.com/
Amy Leis
Amy jokinen
Susan O’Connell

Author: Heidi Olson

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eCampus courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eCampus and researching eCampus tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.

Comments are closed.