Sharing What I Find

Instructional Design and Technology in Education

Google Updates

The big news it that there is a name change for all those pieces that make up The Google. Google Apps is now Google Suite. Google says, “So we’re excited to introduce a new name for Google Apps for Education that better reflects the collaborative power of these tools and reinforces our dedication to teachers and students: G Suite for Education.”

Explore replaces Research

What can you do with explore?

Sheets: ask a question and get suggestions for formatting, using a chart or formula you might use.

Slides: get design suggestions based on content of your slide

Calendar: explore will help you find free times for your meeting attendees as well as room assignment based on previous bookings.

Docs and Slides: search for topics, images or web resources to include in your documents

Drive Search

Can’t remember the title of your document? Try “find my budget presentation from last March” or “show me planning spreadsheet from Heidi.” Search has been updated to use Natural Language Processing.

Table of Contents in Docs

You now have the option to add page numbers to a table of contents. Choose either headers with page numbers or the headers with blue links that take you to the header. Too bad there isn’t a third option that combines page numbers and links.

screen-shot-2016-10-20-at-8-00-17-am

Updates to Forms

You can now add an “upload image file” question in Google Forms. This will allow students to upload images as well as other file types. Forms have also been updated to be able to anticipation the kind of question optons you might want to use based on your question. For example, if you ask a question about which day of the week is best for a meeting, you will be given options that make sense.

screen-shot-2016-10-20-at-9-34-26-am

Author: Heidi Olson

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eLearning courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eLearning and researching eLearning tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.

Comments are closed.