Sharing What I Find

Instructional Design and Technology in Education

Mapping the Course Path to QM!

These are my notes and takeaways from watching this webinar sponsored by Quality Matters.

A course map is a document that outlines the overall course objectives, module level objectives and the alignment with assessments, instructional materials, course activities and interaction and technology.

Sample Course Map this is based on the workshop given but is a decent example of what a “map” might look like. Missing would be Instructional Materials (4.1) and Technology (6.1).

A course map is/can

• a planning tool for development
  • identify gaps, redundancies, and misalignment
  • an outline of the course
  • ensure link between instructor goals and objectives and what the student is doing (watching, reading, participating, submitted, etc.)
  • supports answering students questions such as: why are we doing this, where are we going, and what are we doing to get there
  • fulfill institutional requirements for accreditation and program review

Course Sample (again, I don’t see Instructional Materials (4.1) and Technology (6.1) in this example)

The speaker advocates for including a course map in the course, at least for QM review. although says it would be optional and is not prescribed by QM.

It is a little maddening that the way QM saves the webinar recordings doesn’t allow you to fast forward or rewind. If you get bumped off or close the webinar you have to start over at the beginning.

Author: Heidi Olson

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eLearning courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eLearning and researching eLearning tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.

Comments are closed.