What is it?
Use Google suite within LMS
- LTI standard
- Saves time for giving feedback/interactions
- leverage power of google files
Currently in Beta
Course Kit assignment
- create assignment within LMS
- submit files from drive or from hard drive
- accommodates any file that you can store in drive
- manage file permission exchange so when students turn in an assignment, the permissions changes while it is being graded (similar to classroom)
- backup file automatically created when an assignment gets submitted so original state is available
- Student and File switcher
- like a filter so you can switch between student submissions for multiple assignments or between the same assignment for all students
- Repetitive feedback – use the Comment bank
- Returning student work
- individual or in bulk
- synchs grade with LMS
- email notification to students with link back to assignment
- file exchange changes permission back to student so in reserve, back up file automatically created so instructors have a preserved copy
- from teach side – view of embedded assignment shows who has submitted and who hasn’t.
- new grading interface lets you give a grade, add overall comments and use suggestions (by default) to add suggestions or can switch to leave margin comments
- reuse comments with comment bank (saves commonly used feedback) by inserting # to use and add comment bank
- Comments can be added to PDFs as well as other Google files
- Uploaded files (will convert to Google file with original file retained)
- file is returned as a Google doc
Course Kit file embed
- embed any file from drive into LMS
- automatically sets up sharing permission
- Not currently working with Turnitin but may in the future
- doesn’t currently incorporate rubrics functionality
- course use add-on
- embed doc are automatically updated
- uses institutional gmail account
- ownership of backup files go with user, not to LMS
- Comments can also be added media files (anything that can be stored in Drive can be commented on)
- Permissions – anyone with the link is the default
- Comment banks are available across assignments and across courses. Working on a way to customize so comment banks can be course specific
- embedded docs 508 compliant (uses iframes) so if file in drive is accessible then yes
- peer-to-peer review/grading – coming soon
- When LMS courses are copied, assignments are also copied as well as embedded file.
- Multiple instructors – who owns the submitted copy?
- Group assignments?
- Adding handwritten annotations?
- Make a copy option – looking into making this happen
- Will Kaizena work with Course Kit?